Why do people use foot reflexology?

Why do people use foot reflexology?

Of the many reasons of choosing this therapy, most people come to reflexology work because it offers a safe, effective, natural, easily available and simple to use treatment option for a variety of health problems. Some are attracted to the therapy because it is non-invasive and drug-free: others like fact that is easy to learn and to apply – self-help work can be carried out anywhere and anytime. Worldwide, people are discovering that reflexology may help treat the root causes of many health concerns, ease day-to-day stresses and relieve the impact of past injury or illness. It also presents a gentle opportunity to offer the gift of touch, to reach out and show a loved one you care.

Easing Stress

A common thread among these benefits is the opportunity that reflexology offers for easing stress, which is thought to be a major factor in 80 per cent of illness and a contributing factor in the other 20 per cent. Applying pressure to the hands and feet simultaneously elicits general relaxation while also relaxing a targeted area. Stress researcher Hans Selye(1908-82) noted in 1956 that it is not simply stress itself, but prolonged exposure to stree, that causes wear and tear on the body. Reflex work breaks up patterns of repeated stress by treating the body to an experience apart from the mundane and everyday. One application interrupts stress; further sessions condition chanage to take place; and ongoing application teaches the body to operate more effectively.

Reflexology offers an opportunity to take a break from the stress of everyday life. Putting one’s feet up and taking a few minutes out is effective in itself – aching hands and feet make everyday life miserable – but reflexology techniques amplify these effects.

Pain is a stress

Injury to an part of the body stresses the whole system. Pain is a stressor. Reflexology, however, releases endorphins, the body natural pain-relieving chemicals. It also helps the body to adapt to injury. An injured shoulder, for example, prompts the whole body to hold itself differently. As reflexology de-stresses the entire body with the injured shoulder, it allows the best therapy encourages flexibility and motion. It exercises the building blocks of dexterity and walking, enabling muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints to use their full range of movement and ensuring maximum mobility through into old age.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *